Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Numbers: Num 1-2

This is the book for accountants, and the first two chapters lead the way. Our God is a God of order and this section shows it clearly.

Before you can place a large group of people in a marching order, you need to understand how many people are in each group.  God may know that Himself, but He leaves it up to the people to count themselves.  He has a plan in mind, but for us to understand the plan, we need to understand the details that support the plan.  So Chapter 1 shows a census of all men over 20--all of those that can fight.  Then, in Chapter 2, He orders the camp in the shape of a cross and gives direction about how each division will move when they march.  Every group has its place and every group is in place. 

We talk about how God is orderly, but isn't it interesting that He expected them to order themselves.  He had a plan for how they were to be ordered, but it was the responsibility of each clan to make sure it was in the right place.  Again, this harkens back to Genesis 2 where God gave man authority over all the earth as His agent.  We order things according to God's plan, but it is we who work the plan.  That means that if my own house is disorderly, it's not God's fault.  It's mine.  He expects us to order our own lives consistently and with regularity. 

This is a place I struggle.  I live in my head and my thoughts are usually pretty orderly.  I also live in my home and it isn't.  I live within my days and I have come to realize that if I don't have a plan for those days from the beginning, then very little happens of any value.  Things change and flexibility is more often the rule than the exception, but if I fail to plan, I plan to fail.  Exercising dominion means creating order and ensuring that the order is maintained. 

What is it in your life that you have yet to take dominion over?  (Excuse me, I have to go clean...)

No comments:

Post a Comment