Thursday, August 9, 2012

Gratitude Check

Around our house we have two "checks."  The first one is an attitude check.  When someone is giving me a bad attitude, I say attitude check and the appropriate response is "Praise the Lord."  The second is a gratitude check.  It works best when we're overwhelmed.  I say gratitude check and a number.  The person then has to say that number of things for which they are grateful.  You can't say anything you've said before (unless you really mean it in a different way this time).  Usually by the time the attitude check or a Gratitude check is finished, perspective is regained and there is enough peace to move forward. 

Today is the first quiet day with no kids at home and no paid work to do.  I've been going over the program for PJ's therapy this year that the neurodevelopmentalist created.  If I were to do it all, the program would take 4 hours each day.  Too much.  I've pared it down and shifted some things throughout the day, but I'm still pretty overwhelmed.  It's a lot to do and every bit of it is important.  On top of 7th grade, it feels like a monumental undertaking.  My friend just called and she may get evicted this week while she's halfway across the country and can't do anything about it.  Double overwhelm. 

There are so many verses that run through my head:

  • "My God shall supply all your needs, according to His riches in Glory." 
  • "I have been abased.  I have abounded.  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
  • "With God, nothing is impossible."
  • "All things work together for the good of those who love Christ and are the called according to His purposes." 
  • "Fear not, little ones. It is the Father's good pleasure to give you the Kingdom."
  • "All Your waves and breakers have washed over me."
Time for a Gratitude Check (7):
  1. We know what's wrong with PJ and know what we can do about it.
  2. Katie has good teachers and support staff and is doing as well as she can so she doesn't need a lot of attention right now.
  3. Some of the work will overlap between the two kids--double benefit.
  4. I'm not working full time in an office at the other side of town so I have the time to work with him.
  5. I have time to organize a schedule and systems that will help keep us on track.
  6. I am not alone--The Lord, My God, is my Father, my friend and my love.  He is with me and will help me do this.
  7. I am trained as an engineer and know how to systematically break big jobs down into managable pieces.  I wasn't born that way, but I can do it because I have been trained to do it.
 Thank You, Father.  I trust You to help me do all I need to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment